Altes Kurhaus

PDF

Historical Site

A beautiful building with an interesting history

The historic main building was constructed in 1874 on a 16,400 square meter park area, based on the plans of architect Ludwig Klingenberg.

For the first few years, it was used as a spa building with a restaurant. In 1895, Medical Consultant Dr Alexander Alexander Niemöller took over the building and converted it into a sanatorium.
The annex of the east wing (House Emma) was added in 1908.

During WW II, the German Wehrmacht used the building as a military hospital. From 1945 to 1949, the houses were used by the Allied Forces.

Today, the basement and the first floor are open to the public as ‘House of the Guest’ and as ‘Library at the Lake’. The rooms on the second floor are used for office space for the Community Administration. The historic Spa Hall is utilized for events such as concerts, exhibitions, seminars, and even weddings.

Information concerning barrier free accessibility: The Old Spa House is accessible via a solid ramp. Inside the building is a lift and disable-friendly toilets.

Good to know

Openings

The opening hours vary depending on the service provider.

Price info

Informationen zu Preisen können Sie den einzelnen Dienst- und Serviceleistern entnehmen:
bibliothek am meer
Oscars
Spiegelsaal

General Information

  • Parking Available

Eligibility

  • Bad Weather Offer

  • for Groups

  • for familys

  • for individual guests

  • Suitable for the Elderly

Foreign Language

English

Other Furnishing/Equipment

  • Toilet

  • Baby Change

  • Handicapped accessible WC

  • Barrier-free access

Accessibility

In 2020, the Altes Kurhaus was once again inspected and recertified by a trained surveyor from the nationwide standardized labeling and certification system "Reisen für Alle". The system stands for detailed and verified information in the area of accessibility.

The Old Kurhaus can be accessed via a ramp and there is an elevator to the basement in the Kurhaus itself. In addition, the Altes Kurhaus has sanitary facilities for people with disabilities.

The public facilities such as the reading room, the library by the sea, the restaurant "Oscar's" and the Spiegelsaal (during events) are accessible without barriers.

Further detailed information is available:

Directions & Parking facilities

Die Anfahrt ist über die Straße "Dränkweg" möglich. Am Ende dieser Straße befinden sich rechts Parkmöglichkeiten.

More information

Das Alte Kurhaus ist über eine Treppe bzw. Rampe erreichbar und verfügt über öffentliche Toiletten.

Contact person

Touristik-Service am Meer
Auf dem Hohen Ufer 24
26160 Bad Zwischenahn

Nearby

Getting there

Altes Kurhaus
Auf dem Hohen Ufer 20
26160 Bad Zwischenahn